In Memoriam: John R. Lindahl Sr.
John R. Lindahl Sr. started his own business, State Stove and Manufacturing Co., in 1946, making coal-fired stoves in a Nashville garage. In 1948, State changed its focus to production of electric water heaters, and gas water heaters were added to the mix in 1954. The company was incorporated in 1955, at which time John Lindahl Sr. became president and his brother, Herb Lindahl, was named vice president. The company relocated its plant to Ashland City, TN, in the early 1960s and changed its name to State Industries in 1974.
John R. Lindahl Sr. was honored in September 1999 with an entry in the Library of Congress when Representative Ed Bryant of Tennessee addressed the House of Representatives to speak of Lindahl's achievements upon his retirement as chairman of State Industries.
"Well known for his devotion to his employees, service and building strong relationships with customers, John Lindahl Sr. is proof that the American dream is possible through commitment, loyalty and faith,"