Today, I am encouraged and inspired. I am turning a deaf ear to the naysayers and a blind eye to the imagery of negativity. I see unlimited business opportunities. I am planning to succeed.
No, I am not smoking anything.
I just spent time with 220 positive and confident leaders at the Best of Success Conference in Nashville. This annual event, managed by Roofing Contractor and Architectural Roofing & Waterproofing, brings together some of the brightest minds and best ideas in the construction field.
Presenters ranged from expert marketers to consultants to business owners to facility managers. Some were highly polished veterans. Others were down-to-earth entrepreneurs sharing for the very first time.
All were great at transparently sharing the ideas and techniques that had transformed their businesses. They spoke freely because they know that only a tiny fraction of their competitors have the discipline, smarts, savvy and guts to copy them.
Frankly, we should all copy them because these strategies have produced powerful results.
With 20 excellent speakers spread over two days, I cannot do full justice to their ideas in this blog. Instead, I’ll briefly summarize just eight of the ideas I liked. See if you can find the business opportunity in each concept.
1. Heroes are made during battle, not when business is easy.
-Rick Davis, President, Building Leaders Inc.
2. Recycling materials and positive press make the phone ring.
-Adam Quenneville, President, Adam Quenneville Roofing
3. We need you to educate us and take us under your wing.
-Linda Daniels, Past President, Metropolitan Building Superintendents Association
4. Arbitration is faster and cheaper than litigation.
-Roger Harper, Principle, Creative Dispute Resolutions
5. If it keeps you awake at night, put it in your crew agreement and get it signed.
-Andy Filer, President, Berkshire Construction Company
6. Be great TODAY. Our customers expect a great experience.
-Rod Menzel, Founder/Co-owner, GreatWay Roofing
7. The fastest and easiest way to increase your profits is to close more sales, so hire the best sales force possible.
-Jim Bush, Owner, Weathershield Roofing Systems
8. We cannot be the low bidder and offer the best products and services. If we are the low bidder, something is wrong.
-Tim Hershey, President, ThoroughBred Contractors
My guess is that if you are still reading this blog, you are hungry for success. All of the presenters at Best of Success were in your shoes at one point, seeking the next level of business prosperity. Unlike most of their competitors, they did something about it.
In your field, there are trade associations, marketing organizations, and peer groups filled with highly successful men and women. You probably already know about them. Why not contact them today and register for their next meeting?
For information on the presenters at Best of Success, visit www.bnpevents.com/RC/BOS/SpeakerBios.htm. For updated coverage on the event, visit www.roofingcontractor.com.