The recall involves a 1/2-inch-thick hinge panel included in the Kohler Purist, Pinstripe and Finial frameless heavy glass pivot shower doors. The hinge panel was sold as a component under part numbers 705753-L-NA, 705754-L-NA and 705760-L-NA in various shower door packages as described below.
Part No. 705760-L-NA hinge panel included in these products for 42-inches-wide, 1/2-inch-thick doors:
- Purist Heavy Glass Pivot Shower Door - Model Nos. 705703-L-ABV, 705703-L-NX, 705703-L-SHP, 705715-L-ABV, 705715-L-NX and 705715-L-SHP.
- Pinstripe Heavy Glass Pivot Shower Door - Model Nos. 705709-L-ABV, 705709-L-NX, 705709-L-SHP, 705721-L-ABV, 705721-L-NX and 705721-L-SHP.
- Finial Heavy Glass Pivot Shower Door - Model Nos. 705727-L-ABV, 705727-L-BH, 705727-L-NX, 705727-L-SHP, 705739-L-ABV, 705739-L-BH, 705739-L-NX and 705739-L-SHP.
Part No. 705753-L-NA hinge panel included in these products for 48-inches-wide, 3/8-inch-thick doors:
- Purist Heavy Glass Pivot Shower Door - Model Nos. 705704-L-ABV, 705704-L-NX, 705704-L-SHP, 705716-L-ABV, 705716-L-NX and 705716-L-SHP.
- Pinstripe Heavy Glass Pivot Shower Door - Model Nos. 705710-L-ABV, 705710-L-NX, 705710-L-SHP, 705722-L-ABV, 705722-L-NX and 705722-L-SHP.
- Finial Heavy Glass Pivot Shower Door - Model Nos. 705728-L-ABV, 705728-L-BH, 705728-L-NX, 705728-L-SHP, 705740-L-ABV, 705740-L-BH, 705740-L-NX and 705740-L-SHP.
Part No. 705754-L-NA hinge panel included in these products for 60-inches-wide, 3/8-inch-thick doors:
- Purist Heavy Glass Pivot Shower Door - Model Nos. 705705-L-ABV, 705705-L-NX, 705705-L-SHP and 705705-ZZ-SHP.
- Pinstripe Heavy Glass Pivot Shower Door - Model Nos. 705711-L-ABV, 705711-L-NX and 705711-L-SHP.
- Finial Heavy Glass Pivot Shower Door - Model Nos. 705729-L-ABV, 705729-L-BH, 705729-L-NX and 705729-L-SHP.
The hinge panels have a tempering date code imprinted on a bottom corner of the panel, and only hinge panels having a tempering date code of “05/09” are included in this recall. The hinge panels are the side panels opposite the shower door handle, on which the metal swing hinge is mounted. The tempering date code also includes the name “Guardian” above the tempering date. If the hinge is covering the tempering date code on the glass panel, please call Kohler Co. at the toll-free number listed below.
These were sold through various plumbing distributors nationwide from May 2009 through November 2010 for between $1,700 and $3,000.
Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled shower doors and contact Kohler for a free replacement hinge panel. An Authorized Service Representative from Kohler will remove the old hinge panel and install a new hinge panel.
For additional information, contact Kohler at 866/782-6329 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. CT Monday through Friday, or visit the firm’s website at www.kohler.com.
To see a picture of the recalled product, go to www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml11/11286.html.