Web Exclusive Stories

What a Week (or so) For Webinars!

On Sept. 22 and Oct. 1, John Siegenthaler, P.E., presented separate webinars on “Hydronic Options for High Capacity Domestic Water Heating: The Best Mix of Instantaneous Capacity and Storage” and “Integrating Geothermal Heat Pumps Into Hydronic Heating/Cooling Systems,” respectively.

I was fortunate enough to moderate the webinars, and like the hundreds (combined) who attended, gained some great insights into these topics.

Read More

Let's Knock Down 5 Million Crappy Houses

Last month, three single-family homes I pass while driving to work disappeared. They were there on my drive into work. But on the way home, only a “demolished by” sign remained. It was impressive.
Read More

I'm In A Fog

The “Gunning Fog Index” measures the readability of a sample of writing. The result indicates the number of years of formal education that a person needs to easily understand the text on the first reading. I thought about this recently while thumbing through some codes - in this case, the International Fuel Gas Code.
Read More

Let's Bring Families to Trade Shows

From left, three generations of show attendees are represented by Steve Atwood, Melissa L'Espoir Atwood, Ethan Atwood, John L'Espoir, Elliott Atwood, and Sally L'Espoir. I was aghast the first time
Read More

Hanging by a Thread

I rarely look out my seventh-floor window, but a few weeks ago a dangling window washer grabbed my attention. This guy - let’s call him Wally - was cleaning windows
Read More

Can "Junk Mail"

I miss “junk mail.” It’s true. Even though I sometimes complained when digging out from a pile of mail, I actually enjoyed opening it.
Read More

Fan Fair at the New (York City) Ballparks

I have been fortunate enough to visit both of New York City's new baseball stadiums this year. As a die-hard NY Yankee fan, it pains me to say that the new Citi Field (home of the NY Mets) is far superior to the new Yankee Stadium (ouch!).
Read More

Katrina Revisited

In Sept. 2005, the world was mesmerized by the greatest natural disaster in the history of the U.S. Most of us were glued to our favorite cable channel or Web site, watching hurricane Katrina pound the Gulf Coast without mercy. Our federal and state emergency services were in the spotlight. How would they respond to this overwhelming storm?
Read More

Watt Are You Talking About? Part 2 - The Summer Version

“Do the numbers made sense?” is a question that often bounces through my head. This question has once again been raised – this time with full-page ads for “…a home cooling breakthrough that uses 96% less electricity than air conditioners.” Wow, I thought, no more high rates to cool my home!
Read More

Can A Video Save Thousands of Lives?

This past week I attended my fourth NFPA Conference & Expo, which was held at McCormick Place in nearby Chicago. Besides the usual excellent educational seminars, lively tradeshow floor and
Read More

Multimedia

Videos

Image Galleries

BNP Media's Plumbing Group Visits Grundfos North American Headquarters

BNP Media’s Plumbing Group, comprised of the Plumbing & Mechanical, Supply House Times, PM Engineer (pme) and Reeves Journal brands, recently visited Grundfos’ new North American headquarters building in the western Chicago suburb of Downers Grove, Ill.

6/12/14 2:00 pm EST

There's A New Lead-Free Law in Town

AVAILABLE ON DEMAND New lead-free compliance laws took effect in January—which means you’ve got a stampede of new problems to consider. So, mosey on in to learn more about the new regulations.

PM Engineer Magazine

big cover

2015 January

This month's PME features the cover story: Tankless water heater retrofit helps make the perfect meal.

Table Of Contents Subscribe

Where do you look for new employees?

Where do you look for new employees?
View Results Poll Archive

The PM Engineer Store

2015.jpg
2015 National Plumbing & HVAC Estimator

Every plumbing and HVAC estimator can use the cost estimates in this practical manual!

More Products

Clear Seas Research

ClearSeasResearchWith access to over one million professionals and more than 60 industry-specific publications, Clear Seas Research offers relevant insights from those who know your industry best. Let us customize a market research solution that exceeds your marketing goals.

STAY CONNECTED

facebook_4012.png twitter_40px12.png  youtube_40px12.png    linkedin_40px1.png Google+

NSF 122x150

Check out pme's special section - Design for Safety & Sustainability.