Web Exclusive Stories

One Man's Thoughts on Women in Public Restrooms

As I was waiting for my wife after a show recently, I gave the “nod” to several other guys, also waiting, and wondered about the woman experience in public restrooms. I never knew, after being together for more than 25 years, that one of my wife’s horrors in life is the road trip and the dreaded required trips to the public rest rooms.
Read More

Eat or Be Eaten

In business, I subscribe to the theory that you provide the best products and services and let the market dictate who wins or loses. But it’s also wise to know your competition in order to articulate your advantages to the market.
Read More

What I Saw (and Heard) at ASPE 2008

“Go West,” ASPE members were told this year - so I did in late October, spending two days in Long Beach, CA, at the American Society of Plumbing Engineers’ biennial Convention and Engineered Plumbing Exposition (EPE).
Read More

California Dreaming "

When I took my first trip to California in 1982, the state’s sunny skies, palm trees and ocean views entranced me. With the Mamas and the Papas’ “California Dreaming” playing in my head, I understood why people were moving there in droves. For many in the construction trades, California has indeed been a dream location.
Read More

Finding Hidden Treasure

Who wouldn’t love to discover hidden treasure? Personally, I dream of appearing on PBS’ Antiques Roadshow with my grandfather’s coin collection and hearing the expert say: “Mr. Fausch, this is a stunning collection, filled with the rarest pennies ever assembled. It’s easily worth $5 million.”

Read More

Green Gold

It’s been fascinating watching the world turn green, i.e. “environmentally sensitive.” Because BNP Media has published Environmental Design + Construction magazine since 1997, we’ve been able to watch the recent “green rush” from a position of insight.
Read More

One Head Is Not Enough

New Jersey recently turned down a request to require the retrofit installation of fire sprinkler systems in existing high-rise buildings. My concern is that in the spirit of compromise, NJ is considering requiring the installation of sprinklers in common areas, with one head in each apartment, as an alternative to a completely sprinklered building. In my humble opinion, one sprinkler head in an apartment provides little, if any, help.
Read More

That Will Be $49 for Parts and $99 for Fuel

I just returned from Atlanta where a gas shortage is creating havoc. At one point I became mired in a line of cars when I simply attempted to turn into my hotel parking lot. My path was blocked by a horde of aggressive, petrol-starved motorists, all emotionally invested in reaching the corner gas station. From the perspective of someone from Michigan, where gas is still plentiful, I found the shortage scary.
Read More

What's Your Solar Potential?

This past summer, PM Engineer magazine added a bimonthly column on solar design, written by hydronics guru John Siegenthaler, P.E. Response to the column, called “Solar Design Notebook,” has been very favorable, which surprises neither Siggy nor anyone else on the staff of PME. In fact, insights that I’ve gained from Siggy’s columns have already proven very helpful to me on two occasions...
Read More

I've Got the Bailout Blues

That eardrum shattering noise you’ve been hearing is the construction industry grinding to a halt. Will the gears that run our economy unclench?If so, when? A few days ago, the House of Representatives joined Congress in passing the financial “Bail Out Bill.” President Bush quickly signed the measure so taxpayers like you and me can throw $700 billion at the problem.
Read More

Multimedia

Videos

Image Galleries

BNP Media's Plumbing Group Visits Grundfos North American Headquarters

BNP Media’s Plumbing Group, comprised of the Plumbing & Mechanical, Supply House Times, PM Engineer (pme) and Reeves Journal brands, recently visited Grundfos’ new North American headquarters building in the western Chicago suburb of Downers Grove, Ill.

6/12/14 2:00 pm EST

There's A New Lead-Free Law in Town

AVAILABLE ON DEMAND New lead-free compliance laws took effect in January—which means you’ve got a stampede of new problems to consider. So, mosey on in to learn more about the new regulations.

PM Engineer Magazine

cover

2014 December

The December issue is PME's 2015 BIG Book.

Table Of Contents Subscribe

Where do you look for new employees?

Where do you look for new employees?
View Results Poll Archive

The PM Engineer Store

2015.jpg
2015 National Plumbing & HVAC Estimator

Every plumbing and HVAC estimator can use the cost estimates in this practical manual!

More Products

Clear Seas Research

ClearSeasResearchWith access to over one million professionals and more than 60 industry-specific publications, Clear Seas Research offers relevant insights from those who know your industry best. Let us customize a market research solution that exceeds your marketing goals.

STAY CONNECTED

facebook_4012.png twitter_40px12.png  youtube_40px12.png    linkedin_40px1.png Google+

NSF 122x150

Check out pme's special section - Design for Safety & Sustainability.