Web Exclusive Stories

Are Obama Fans Too Optimistic?

Regardless of where you fall in the political spectrum, you are likely looking forward to a change in Washington. If you are a business owner or manager, you are especially excited by the prospects of a new cadre of leaders generating optimism among consumers. I am right there with you. Consumer confidence is the lynchpin to fixing our broken economy.
Read More

Christmas Eve in the Sewer

I visited Paris with my family over the holidays. A couple days before Christmas, we walked to the Eiffel Tower and encountered very long lines of tourists. By contrast, no one was standing in line at the sewer tour’s ticket booth late Christmas Eve morning. We walked right up, purchased our tickets and down the stairs we went to begin our self-guided tour.
Read More

Only Great Products Will Sustain the Green Movement

For the last few years, anything green has received incredible attention. The high price of oil, the threat of global warming, and a strong economy have caused us to view the world through green-tinted glasses.  Fast forward to today. Oil is cheap, icy weather engulfs the U.S. (global cooling?), and our economy stinks. Could the vast green sea become a puddle?

Read More

Are Return Air Plenums Still A Practical Concept? [Part 1]

The advent of air conditioning a century ago brought us into a new era, the AC in HVAC.  While heat could be delivered in various forms into a space, cooling came in one medium - cool air. The more, the better. Somewhere you had cooling coils to create this new-found luxury, and fans and ducts to deliver the valued commodity to the place it was needed. Once the cool air had severed its purpose, it had little value.
Read More

Practical - and Impractical - Aspects of French Bathroom Design

The French arrangement of placing the toilet in a separate room from the rest of the bathroom fixtures makes sense to me, for the most part. I’ve encountered this setup in French hotels and, recently, in a private apartment in Paris where I spent Christmas with my wife, our three grown kids and relatives who are living there. After all, why should someone experiencing French cuisine on top of a trans-Atlantic flight tie up an entire bathroom for long periods of time?
Read More

Still Dreaming of These Holiday Mergers

The recent spate of mergers caused me to wonder why we - the valued customers of these companies - were not consulted about their unions. I know we could pick better partners. So at the top of my 2008 Christmas list, I asked for mergers that will bring a smile to the face of every employee, customer and even those not-so-lovable boardroom Scrooges.
Read More

Toothless Smiles

The construction market stinks. The stock market brings constant pain. The financial bailouts grow more insane by the day. Manufacturers are struggling. Nonprofits are laying off staff. Retailers are filing for bankruptcy. To all of this I want complain loudly and shout, “Bah humbug.” But I can’t.
Read More

Let's Profit From People's Pain

Now that Thanksgiving is over, we have a few weeks before the Christmas spirit peaks and we have to be nice to people. Now is the perfect time to take advantage of people and make some easy money for your company. Here’s how to do it...
Read More

Housing Mess = Pent-Up Demand For Your Services

Earlier this week the U.S. Commerce Department released October stats indicating that new home and apartment construction have dropped to an annual rate of 791,000 units, a 4.5% decrease from September. Certain to receive unwanted focus is the fact that this total is the lowest national annualized rate since 1959, or nearly a half-century.
Read More

Multimedia

Videos

Image Galleries

BNP Media's Plumbing Group Visits Grundfos North American Headquarters

BNP Media’s Plumbing Group, comprised of the Plumbing & Mechanical, Supply House Times, PM Engineer (pme) and Reeves Journal brands, recently visited Grundfos’ new North American headquarters building in the western Chicago suburb of Downers Grove, Ill.

3/25/15 2:00 pm EST

ASHRAE Standard 90.1 – What It Means to the Plumbing Engineer

Learn the basic requirements of ASHRAE Standard 90.1-2010 Section 10.4.2 and how to ensure energy savings with efficient pump selction with this informative webinar. 

PM Engineer Magazine

2015 March

The March issue of PME features cover story: Sloan Valve helps Chicago Cubs improve spring training facilities.

Table Of Contents Subscribe

Where do you look for new employees?

Where do you look for new employees?
View Results Poll Archive

The PM Engineer Store

2015.jpg
2015 National Plumbing & HVAC Estimator

Every plumbing and HVAC estimator can use the cost estimates in this practical manual!

More Products

Clear Seas Research

ClearSeasResearchWith access to over one million professionals and more than 60 industry-specific publications, Clear Seas Research offers relevant insights from those who know your industry best. Let us customize a market research solution that exceeds your marketing goals.

STAY CONNECTED

facebook_4012.png twitter_40px12.png  youtube_40px12.png    linkedin_40px1.png Google+

NSF 122x150

Check out pme's special section - Design for Safety & Sustainability.